(This position has been filled.)
Position: Market System and Enterprise Development Officer (MSEDO)-1(One)
Duty station: Machhakhola, Dharche with frequent visit to Chum, Ajirkot and Gandaki RM
Direct supervisor: Project Manager, CF-LNOB
Objective of the position:
As a member of the PHASE Nepal team and under the direct supervision of the Project Manager-PURNIMA: Challenge Fund Leave No One Behind (CF-LNOB), the MSEDO is responsible for developing, monitoring, and steering the assigned job responsibilities and activities.
She/he shall be responsible for building the capacity of the vulnerable people to access business services from public and private sector, demonstrate incentive and build capacity of private sector to serve the vulnerable people better and strengthening the linkage between various market actors. The MSEDO ensures that the planning and implementation of the projects in the areas of market expansion and economic recovery are of high quality. He/she shall be actively involved in developing collaborative relationship with local government, stakeholders, like-minded organization, value-chain actors, and vulnerable communities to ensure that the planning and implementation reflect the CF-LNOB’s priorities for vulnerable groups and that strong coordination and collaboration is developed to jointly implement initiatives that support those priorities. The MSEDO should be willing to work in Gandaki, Dharche, Chumnubri, and Ajirkot rural municipalities of Gorkha district.
Required Competencies and Attributes:
- Minimum bachelor degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, agribusiness management, or related field (Master degree is preferred).
- Minimum 5 years of field experience with bachelor degree and 3 years of field experience with master degree in agricultural marketing and market system development, value-chain development, private sector development, market linkages, economics, access to finance, market innovation or related field.
- Candidates with exceptional past experience of strengthening local market actors and their engagement in the service delivery to the most vulnerable and marginalized section of the community and experience working with local government in the field of market system development, value-chain, market linkage, or related field will be an advantage.
- Sound understanding of the current issues impeding the development of agricultural markets, access to finance, business development, and agriculture entrepreneurship; especially policy, plan, guidelines/directives constraints.
- Experience in designing and developing innovative business plan for economic inclusion of the vulnerable groups, proven ability to formulate bankable business plan and schemes, with strong financial analysis skills.
- Comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the major products/schemes of the BFIs, good coaching, mentoring, and training skills for the dissemination of the information and knowledge to the subordinate staff.
- Strong communicator with ability to influence diverse stakeholder groups
- Excellent conceptual and analytical abilities, including result-based monitoring, tracking, and management in an intercultural context
- Sensitivity and experience in the areas of gender, equity, and social inclusion
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Nepali languages.
- Result oriented, ability to work independently, make decision, and implement them, innovative, ability to think out of the box and initiate changes for market system development
- Ability to build and nurture partnership with private and public sector actors, networking, negotiation, and communication skills
- Ability to address feedbacks constructively, accept a wide spectrum of tasks, ability to learn and adapt quickly
Major Roles and Responsibilities:
- Coach, mentor, and train subordinate staffs, interested private sector market actors, local service providers (private firms, cooperatives, farmer groups, and cooperatives) to develop bankable business plans
- Provide business plan, financial management and marketing training/orientation to the vulnerable people
- Help the vulnerable people to better organize their economic activities though producers’ groups, group production and marketing plan, group marketing and help them to negotiate with other market actors in beneficial terms
- Map the available public and private service which can support the economic activities of vulnerable people and help them to access the services
- Guide and support private sector market actors, local service providers, and vulnerable groups through loan application, approval, and disbursement processes
- Facilitate and support vulnerable groups, COVID-19 affected households/individuals, private sector market actors, local service providers or related business entity through the matching grant application, approval, and disbursement processes
- Coach, mentor, and train subordinate staff, RM personnel, and vulnerable lead farmer to develop and implement vegetable farming, mushroom farming, beekeeping, poultry rearing, rabbit breeding and production business plans and enable them to function as enterprise development facilitators
- Organize various networking, communicative, and informational events with the participation of the vulnerable groups, local market actors, and service providers to ensure product diversification, value addition, and effective service delivery in the project area
- Organize interaction meetings, workshop, and related events to improve private sector understanding of vulnerable people and their economic activities
- Provide technical coaching, mentor, and guidance for business registration, ensure availability of matching grant for improving the business model of the private sector to reach and serve the vulnerable people
- Provide technical, entrepreneurship, and financial training and support for the business establishment and operation by the vulnerable people
- Contribute to internal knowledge sharing, ensure that issues related to market development are shared, discussed, and understood by the project team
- Coordinate with Technical Assistance (TA) team of PURNIMA program and support local government to improve their group registration, business registration, and taxation practices as per the context, and capacity of the vulnerable people
- Coordinate and support local government in mapping, and profiling of the local business, and technical support for the catalog preparation of producers and market actors for the effective networking and communication for market linkage and marketing of agricultural and non-agricultural commodities
- In close collaboration with the supervisor, proactively discuss and build strong relationship with related line agencies, including to understand their priorities, functioning, and areas where the collaboration can be strengthened in the market and economic development space
- Scoping of the private sector firms/companies to create employment opportunities for the vulnerable people.
- Monitor progress of the project’s activities, analyze and report on progress to the supervisor
- Any other additional task, foreseen and unforeseen, requested to effectively manage the CF-LNOB interventions in the project area.
Salary and Benefits:
Gross Salary: Rs. 85,500 per month
|Basic Salary||Provident Fund||Gratuity||Festival Allowance||Food Allowance||Field Allowance||Additional Allowance||
Insurance: We also enroll all our staff along with their dependent (Spouse, 3 children or Parents) in Medical Insurance worth Rs. 2,25,000 (Two Lakhs Twenty Five Thousand) and Accidental Insurance worth Rs. 20,00,000 (Twenty Lakhs).
How to Apply:
Interested and candidates with high motivation meeting the above-mentioned criteria are requested to send their updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 10 March 2021. Please put your name on your CV and mention the position you applied for on the email subject line. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION IF YOU HAVE ALREADY APPLIED TO YOUR LAST VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT.
PHASE Nepal is an equal opportunities employer and strictly follows the merit-based selection. Qualified female candidates or those from disadvantaged communities or living with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply. PHASE reserves the right to qualify/disqualify applications in any case.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for the further selection process.
We will not entertain any telephone inquiries and any inappropriate recommendation will automatically disqualify the candidate from the further selection process.